Wiki Sports Physicals

morgan369

Contributor
Best answers
Hello, I am looking for some concrete documentation regarding charging 2 different patients differently based on their insurance coverage.
My concern is if a commercial insurance covered patient comes in for a sports physical, they are charges 25.00.. nothing is billed to their insurance.
If a medicaid covered individual comes in for the same sports physical they are not charged anything and nothing is billed to their insurance.

This feels wrong to me, but I need concrete support to change it... I feel it should be across the board, charge one charge all type of thing...

Hello, I am looking for some concrete documentation regarding charging 2 different patients differently based on their insurance coverage.
My concern is if a commercial insurance covered patient comes in for a sports physical, they are charges 25.00.. nothing is billed to their insurance.
If a medicaid covered individual comes in for the same sports physical they are not charged anything and nothing is billed to their insurance.

This feels wrong to me, but I need concrete support to change it... I feel it should be across the board, charge one charge all type of thing...
In our practice the way we handle sports physicals is if the patient is due for their yearly wellness exam we will schedule a wellness exam. Our providers will fill out the required sports physical form during the wellness visit.
If the child is not due for a wellness exam we schedule a sports physical (using CPT 99429) and charge the patient $25.00 upfront.