Wiki Spine Surgery Claims

Best answers
What do you think is the correct order to list procedure codes for spine procedures? Currently I am listing the main procedure followed by the add-on code directly underneath, and listing the highest price main procedure first followed by the add-on codes, and then the next highest priced procedure followed by the add-on codes. In any other surgery claim I list the highest price procedure first and then enter the next ones in descending cost order. But, this is hard to do with multiple level spine surgeries, and I am wondering what others are doing?

I do the exact same way you do. It's easier to keep track of the procedures and if you have to split the claim (for example bill on paper) it makes it that much easier.

What about multiple add on code 63048 for spine??

We are getting denials regarding 63047 and then 2 additonal levels 63048 x 2?
How do you normally submit this claim to Medicare?

That is how I list my codes as well. as far as the multiple 63048 put a modifier 59 on the second so it doesnt deny as duplicate. hope this helps!

I put a modifier 59 on the second 63048. Also, I double click on the cpt codes while processing claim and putting the lumbar level on the first 63048 as well as the second one, so they can see that we are working on a different level. Helps cut down on denials.