Wiki Spine coding

KarinQuiterio2023

Networker
Best answers
Good afternoon everyone!
I currently am a COSC and we just found out we will be acquiring a "spine surgeon" in a few months. While I am versed in orthopaedic coding I have not ever had to do spine coding and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as how to learn more about it?

Thanks in advance!

Karin

Hi Karin,

Big topic, the spine and surgeries to it are demanding of any new coder. But one area of coding is especially sticking out to me.

"Dural Tear" "Nicked nerves"

Things happen during surgery like: Someone goes in for surgical treatment of their spine and previously had spinal surgery. Surgeon finds the nerve glued to the herniated disk from previous surgery. Surgeon has to go around the glued nerve to get to the disk and nicks the nerve. Surgeon repairs nerve. Need to know how to code this. Or, after surgery, a patient has the worst headache of their life and the nurse discovers a bulging lump on their back. Return to surgery for repair of dural tear, hopefully by same surgeon to repair the dural tear. Some dural tears are idiopathic as well so you need to learn the differences and how to code for them.

There are many "Interbody" spinal surgeries performed so another area to learn along with grafts and their types.

When you acquire your new surgeon, comb over their operative reports and train them in proper method of reporting their procedures to validate their work and medical necessity to reduce denials.

Good Luck!