Wiki Spinal decompression 63047

LIVE2CODE

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I think I have confused myself is this considered two levels or one? I know CPT code 63047 states single vertebral segment. HELP!!

Fluoroscopic visualization was used to localize the L3-4 interspace. A midline incision was made, dissecting down through the skin and the subcutaneous tissue. McCulloch retractor was then inserted deep to the tissue. A Kocher clamp was placed over the spinous process and x-rays confirmed 3-4 interspace. At that point in time, an AM8 drill was then used to complete the bilateral decompression, initially removing the lamina of L3. Care was taken to spare 6 mm of pars bilaterally. This was taken off with the AM8 drill, as well as partial spinous process removal. At that point in time, a series of #3 and #4 Kerrison rongeurs were used to elevate and resect the ligamentum. Central decompression was then completed. Ligamentum, as well as the medial aspect of the superior articular facet, was then removed bilaterally, taking no more than 50% of the facet bilaterally, to complete a bilateral recess decompression. Foraminotomy was then performed. At the completion of this, a nerve hook could be passed out with the exiting L3 nerve roots, as well as the traversing L4 nerve root.

I would consider this a 1 level decompression. BUT that is because I code from AANS Rules and NOT CPT when it comes to the Decompression for Stenosis.

AANS Says that these codes should be applied to "motion" segments and not individual vertebral segments. You are working with the nerve roots in those motions segments. So a decompression at L3-4 to decompress the roots in that space would be coded as 63047. If the surgeon decompressed the other side of the L4 down to the L5 nerve root or above L3 then you could add 63048.

Does that make sense?