Wiki skin lesion

lindafay1123

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Can anyone help me to code the following:

The patient comes in to the outpatient surgery department with a suspicious skin lesion involving the upper trunk area. Lesion measures 1.8 cm and the margin required to adequately excise the lesion includes 0.2 cm from both sides. Pathology is negative for cancer noting actinic keratosis. which cpt code would I use and would I also use an e&m code. also would the dx be the ctinic keratosis. any help would be great. thanks.

11440-11446 - code range

also would the dx be the ctinic keratosis- yes

depending on how deep the surgeon went you might need to report the closure as well if layered closure.

Let me state that I do not have a position as a coder, but, if my memory is right, isn't trunk of the body in the 11400 - 11406. just trying to keep up with it! please let me kmow if i am in the ballpark. :confused:

Can anyone help me to code the following:

The patient comes in to the outpatient surgery department with a suspicious skin lesion involving the upper trunk area. Lesion measures 1.8 cm and the margin required to adequately excise the lesion includes 0.2 cm from both sides. Pathology is negative for cancer noting actinic keratosis. which cpt code would I use and would I also use an e&m code. also would the dx be the ctinic keratosis. any help would be great. thanks.
your excision size is 2.2 and it would be trunk , benign excision, I would use the V71.1 as the first listed dx (it only allowed as first listed) and the AK as a secondary. This is how I always code these when the path report is anything but malignant, it is always well received by the payers.
You would not code an E&M if this were a scheduled procedure.