Wiki Sitting for exam-I was wondering

Lynda Wetter

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I was wondering if anyone had tips on this exam (CGSG) I am siting for it VERY soon.
Should I bring a reference book as it says we can? If so do you have suggestions?
A medical dictionary?
I have very basic experience in the surgery field. Mainly anything done in office I have coded.
Any and all help/tips/advice is greatly appreciated!

Good Luck!

One thing I wished I had was ear plugs, there was a lady in the room who had nasal issues and didn't blow her nose. Outside of that make sure you find the most commonly used abbreviations for each section, underline key words, and when more than one MD is mentioned. I just took the CPC on the 21st, and as prepared as I thought I was, you will always have a few questions that will throw you for a loop, don't get stuck on it or let it fluster you. A few questions had the wrong modifiers, but no modifiers on the correct one - because the CPT code read as upper and lower. Hope this helps!

Thanks It does help.
I have sat through some previous exams and have always had ear plugs on hand!
I have always done well on the other exams, but I was more prepared going into them (CPMA, CEMC)

Thanks again

exam

I just took it and a medical dictionary came in handy because I didn't want to 2nd guess my anatomy. I wanted to be decisive. Some of us are used to everything on the computer like NCCI edits so to remember that was difficult. Other than that it wasn't really that bad. Just 5 hrs of really having to think was the worst and keep it going.