Wiki Single spinal injection for POPM

missyah20

Guru
Best answers
Our provider is doing a single spinal injection for POPM for a procedure. We have billed code 62311-59 for this and then the provider will go back and check the patient the day after surgery for post-op pain. What code would you use to bill this visit?

01996 Daily hospital management of epidural or subarachnoid continuous drug administration

The above code would not work for your situation because you stated there was a single injection. If the physician is doing a follow up visit if this is for an inpatient you could use 99231-99233. You would want to check the carrier's guidelines for POPM visits.

These denials are for WPS Medicare. We have been billing with code 99231. Do you think we can bill this code with a 24 modifier? I don't want to start billing something incorrectly.

I know that for continous nerve blocks for WPS you can bill your post-op pain days codes with a 24 modifier.

The only time I would see the 24 modifier needed if the physician who performed the procedure and the anesthesiologist were of the same group and same speciality.