Wiki Signatures on lab orders

ANWALKER

Contributor
Best answers
I have read and re-read the Federal Register November 29, 2010 and still not completely clear on whether a lab order needs a physician signature or not to be valid. I get a requisition needs to be in the medical record and signed but what about what the patient hands the lab people......... Can someone just tell me YES or NO about a lab order requiring a signature.

Thank you!!!

How would you sing a verbal request?

The patient care comes first not the paperwork...
It is nice to have it but not necessary.

I have read and re-read the Federal Register November 29, 2010 and still not completely clear on whether a lab order needs a physician signature or not to be valid. I get a requisition needs to be in the medical record and signed but what about what the patient hands the lab people......... Can someone just tell me YES or NO about a lab order requiring a signature.

Thank you!!!

What state are you in? Some states have requirements also for lab orders with signatures. Be sure that you also review those policies as well.

The signature requirement was rescinded in November 2011-Federal Register / Vol. 76, No. 228 / Monday, November 28, 2011
Go to page 276.

So your answer is no, it is not required by CMS.
As bethdeak suggested, you'll still want to verify with your state, if they require it.