Wiki SI joint injection coding help

kandimcm

Best answers
Hi all! I code for ASC's and have one physician in particular that performs both and inferior and superior sacroiliac joint injections, unilaterally. For instance, he'll access the inferior aspect of the right SI joint, inject an anesthetic/steroid mix, then insert a new needle into the superior aspect of the right SI joint and inject the same mixture (volume/drugs) into that area. I was previously told that this would constitute two sites and therefore I should code 27096-rt & 27096-rt-59. Now, I'm being told it should be just the once. Any help/info would be GREATLY appreciated. :)

SI joint injection

Hi all! I code for ASC's and have one physician in particular that performs both and inferior and superior sacroiliac joint injections, unilaterally. For instance, he'll access the inferior aspect of the right SI joint, inject an anesthetic/steroid mix, then insert a new needle into the superior aspect of the right SI joint and inject the same mixture (volume/drugs) into that area. I was previously told that this would constitute two sites and therefore I should code 27096-rt & 27096-rt-59. Now, I'm being told it should be just the once. Any help/info would be GREATLY appreciated. :)

I was under the impression this was per joint, not per injection. So, since you are injecting into the same joint, I would only code once. Anyone else?

I believe it's the same side... (?)

"inferior aspect of the right SI joint, inject an anesthetic/steroid mix, then insert a new needle into the superior aspect of the right SI joint "

thank you all for the information! does it make a difference that I am coding for the facility and not the physician? We were told to code per surgical site and as he's inserting two different needles into two different sites (inferior/ superior) that's what I was doing. thanks again for all your help! :)

anyone having issues with BC/BS denying 27096?

they are stating this is experimental. Anyone else facing this? What can be done for the patient?

HELP