Wiki SI injections

cynsteve04@aol.com

Networker
Best answers
Under fluoroscopy we use 27096 , not under fluoroscopy the Dr is coding 20610. I'm telling her that's wrong we need to use 20552 . she is challenging me . it clearly says it in cpt when you look up 27096 see 20552 without fluoroscopy.I'm not CPC certified but want to know if I'm right . thankyou

20552 would be for trigger point injections. If they are injecting into the SI joint, your doctor is correct you would use 20610 for injection into Major joint or bursa. I work for a Ortho group, we do injections like this daily.

Hope that helps.

You are right. I would show the person the CPT book as you couldn't get much clearer. We are instructed to use 20552 when CT or Fluoroscopy is not used for guidance.

I hope this helps!

A physician I talked to stated that without the fluoroscopy you have no way to know when you are into the SI joint which is why it is inclusive to the procedure. So without the fluoroscopy you only can assure that you injected the muscle which is why the AMA instructs to use the 20552 if no fluoroscopy is used. I feel I must defer to this explanation and it does make sense.