Wiki SI Injection

JLM929

Networker
Best answers
Our providers do their own coding. PM doc wants to bill out 27096 & 76942 for an SI injection under ultrasound is this correct? This is part of his note..............SI JOINT INJECTION:
After reviewing written informed consent, the patient was seated. The skin overlying the right SI joint was prepped with alcohol. Skin was anesthetized with 1% lidocaine. The skin overlying the inferior recess of the SI joint was palpated and a 3-1/2 inch 22-gauge spinal needle was advanced into the joint by palpation. After negative aspiration, the joint was injected with a total of 1 cc of 0.75% bupivicaine and 80 mg of triamcinolone without adverse sequelae or paresthesia. The patient was observed and discharged in stable and awake condition.
Ultrasound guidance was used for visualization of needle placement into the joint as well as joint injection images were saved the PAC system

Please help!

CPT code 76942 cannot be reported with 27096. Also, 77002 is fluoroscopic guidance for needle placement. There is no mention of fluoroscopy being used within the portion of the op report you included. Further, 27096 includes needle placement by fluoroscopy or CT so it would be incorrect to report 77002 in conjunction with the 27096 even if it had been performed. Lastly, 27096 requires an anatomic modifier so don't forget to append -RT.

Hope this helps!!

You are so correct... I was rushing through and read things into the question that were not there. I won't make that mistake again! luckyg78 is 100% correct. Please accept my apologies.