Wiki should I buy AMA CPT codebook or wait for AAPC's procedural codebook?

Best answers
I am about to buy my 2023 codebooks. For CPT, should I buy the AMA's codebook now, or wait for a cheaper AAPC procedural codebook to be released (one doesn't appear to have been released yet)?

I am about to buy my 2023 codebooks. For CPT, should I buy the AMA's codebook now, or wait for a cheaper AAPC procedural codebook to be released (one doesn't appear to have been released yet)?

The 2023 AMA CPT book won't ship until October. I think the Procedural Expert will be available shortly after that. The time difference is negligible, really.

Which book you should buy is a different question. If you're planning to take a certification exam in 2023, go with the AMA CPT version. It's the only one you can use during an exam.

If you just want updated CPT information for personal/professional reference, you could go either way. It's a matter of personal preference. I'd suggest looking at the sample pages on the website for the 2022 version, so you can see if the format & layout work for you.

There's a PDF with several sample pages from the 2022 Procedural Coding Expert here: https://www.aapc.com/medical-coding-books/procedural-coding-expert/#SamplePages

The 2023 AMA CPT book won't ship until October. I think the Procedural Expert will be available shortly after that. The time difference is negligible, really.

Which book you should buy is a different question. If you're planning to take a certification exam in 2023, go with the AMA CPT version. It's the only one you can use during an exam.

If you just want updated CPT information for personal/professional reference, you could go either way. It's a matter of personal preference. I'd suggest looking at the sample pages on the website for the 2022 version, so you can see if the format & layout work for you.

There's a PDF with several sample pages from the 2022 Procedural Coding Expert here: https://www.aapc.com/medical-coding-books/procedural-coding-expert/#SamplePages
Well, there's a significant practical difference: cost. PCE (or PE, however it's abbreviated) cost less in 2022 and probably would for 2023. I'm certified but not in the professional coding world yet.

All I'm sure of is that I'm going back to paper for 2023. The e-book website is awful.