Wiki Shared visit in the ER

Colliemom

Expert
Best answers
Good morning,

How would you guys bill for this?

The PA does a consultation in the ER on the 7th. The physician is not able to see the patient until the morning of the 8th. The physician does an addendum to the PA's note, meeting the requirements of a shared visit. However, the PA's note shows the date of 10/7, and the addendum clearly shows the physician did not see the patient until 10/8. (The patient was sent home after the provider saw her.)

My understanding, is that in order to bill a split/shared visit, both the PA and the physician must see the patient on the same day. (and that consultations cannot never be billed as split/shared visits) I do not believe an addendum on the PA's note from the 7th would be sufficient to bill for even a low level outpatient visit on the 8th. Wouldn't the physician's note have to be completely separate in order to bill for a visit on the 8th?

Also, I see some sites are saying split/shared cannot be billed for consults, critical care and procedures. Other sites are stating split/shared visits cannot be billed for critical care and procedures only. Does anyone know, with certainty, if consults can be billed as a split/shared visit or cannot?

Last edited: