Wiki Septoplasty Etc

andie.zurbrick

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I need help with some coding. These are the procedures being done, but I think there may be bundling issues I am missing as I primarily do Anesthesia, not ENT.

30520 Septoplasty
30465 Bilateral Spreader Grafts
30465 Osteotomy
30140-50 Bilateral sumucous turbinate resection
20912 Septal Cartilage graft
31254 Nasal Endoscopy
31256 Nasal Endoscopy

They are having a lot done. I am wondering, can 30465 be billed for both the osteotomy AND the spreader grafts? The description of the code (the one with the picture) says osteotomy with graft, which to me sounds like you can only bill it once for both procedures, but I really want to make sure so I don't mess it up. Thanks.

Hi,

Among above listed procedures, CPT 30465 should be reported only once, since aim of the procedure is to widen the nasal cavity only. It is achieved with both osteotomy as well as spreader graft placement (both are part of 30465. For further reference use lay description). Morever CPT 20912 should not be reported separately because it has been harvested locally (septum). We can report CPT 20912 if it has been harvested from remote site like ear cartilage. As per my knowledge, the correct coding would be 30465, 30520, 30140-50, 31254, 31256.

Hope it gives some idea.

Vernon Kreiss is correct. I concur with her recommendations. If you would like to de-identify the operative note and email it to me, I can look at it to be sure?

My contact details are below.