Wiki Separate surgical margins with breast case

buppkl

Networker
Best answers
Excision of breast mass w/ margins is performed and the path report returns with Ductal Carcinoma in Situ (88307). Along with the breast specimen are 6 separately submitted margins. Each margin is described as "new superior margin stitch true margin" or another location such as new medial, new posterior and so on. Each specimen states suture present and inked with black. The final diagnosis on each states "New ______ margin biopsy: Benign Breast tissue, No Tumor Seen. The pathologist is submitting these margins as Breast specimen, excision of lesion w/ indicated margins and billing a 88307 for each. What would be the correct code to report 88305 or 88307? No documentation stating they are microscopically examined. Other than the actual breast specimen, the others are the surgical margins of the breast excision. I am thinking 88305?
Any advice appreciated.

unless the pathologist indicates gross only, then it usually does include the microscopic exam, without seeing your path report I find it hard to state for sure. going on what our pathologist document it would be
88307 x 7 for the seven separate specimens unless it was submitted as one specimen with separate slides. however if you can post the path report without patient information I could better advise.