Wiki Sending Records Back to Clinicians

We will not send individual records back to the provider when these areas are not address. Generally we will review this in a one on one training or audit review with the provider. Not all services require and/or justify a ROS, PSFH, etc.

Keep in mind the goal is to ensure that we are billing for the services that are rendered and not "asking" for additional documentation to justify coding levels. It is a tricky area and I would warn against sending the records back as a regular routine. Instead I would work with the audit team or the compliance officer to address the importance of complete documentation as a training issue in ordered to be paid correctly for the services rendered.

Agreed, the practices I have worked for would not routinely send records back to clinicians unless they contained an obvious error or were deficient in some way (for example, missing a signature, or insufficient information to assign a diagnosis code) that required a correction. Records would not be sent back based on audits of E&M levels - this information would be shared for educational purposes afterwards.

Last edited:
I agree as well, the practices I have worked for have not sent providers messages for lack of ROS ,PFSH, etc. We have only sent back for "fatal flaws" such as missing signatures, co-signatures. We will educate our providers on proper documentation and such.