Wiki Selective Cath w/ S&I Question

Jill Pereira

Best answers
This was coded as:
36246-59
75736-59
75625-59
75710-59

Insurance company is having issues with the 75736; is it still appropriate to code this S&I with iliac/renal cath placements/interventions?? Or is it because it was used with the aortogram and unilat runoff? Any insight would be greatly appreciated....thanks!! :)

Procedure: Informed consent was obtained, the patient was taken to the angiography suite, placed in supine position, and prepped and draped in the usual sterile fashion. Utilizing ultrasound guidance, the right common femoral artery was accessed. Utilizing micropuncture technique, the 5-French sheath was then placed and an .035 Bentson wire was advanced into the abdominal aorta. Omniflush catheter was advanced into the aorta just above the level of the renal arteries and an aortogram was obtained. Aortography demonstrated very tortuous left common iliac artery, but no abnormalties and the renal arteries appeared patent. Utilizing crossover technique the left iliac system was accessed; this did require using an .035 Glidewire. The Omniflush was first exchanged then to a Seeker catheter to advance into the left iliac system. Angiogram of the femoral bifurcation was performed with no evidence of flow limiting lesions. Glidewire was advanced down the SFA , angiography was then performed at stations to the foot with three vessel runoff; although the vessels were extremely calcifications there were no flow-limiting lesions whatsoever to the foot. The procedure was terminated at this point, guidewire and catheter removed, compression was utilized for the arterial puncture site.

This was coded as:
36246-59
75736-59
75625-59
75710-59

Insurance company is having issues with the 75736; is it still appropriate to code this S&I with iliac/renal cath placements/interventions?? Or is it because it was used with the aortogram and unilat runoff? Any insight would be greatly appreciated....thanks!! :)

Procedure: Informed consent was obtained, the patient was taken to the angiography suite, placed in supine position, and prepped and draped in the usual sterile fashion. Utilizing ultrasound guidance, the right common femoral artery was accessed. Utilizing micropuncture technique, the 5-French sheath was then placed and an .035 Bentson wire was advanced into the abdominal aorta. Omniflush catheter was advanced into the aorta just above the level of the renal arteries and an aortogram was obtained. Aortography demonstrated very tortuous left common iliac artery, but no abnormalties and the renal arteries appeared patent. Utilizing crossover technique the left iliac system was accessed; this did require using an .035 Glidewire. The Omniflush was first exchanged then to a Seeker catheter to advance into the left iliac system. Angiogram of the femoral bifurcation was performed with no evidence of flow limiting lesions. Glidewire was advanced down the SFA , angiography was then performed at stations to the foot with three vessel runoff; although the vessels were extremely calcifications there were no flow-limiting lesions whatsoever to the foot. The procedure was terminated at this point, guidewire and catheter removed, compression was utilized for the arterial puncture site.

Hi Jill,
Not sure how to answer your question except that I do not see documentation in this report to support 75736. This code is for selection and imaging of the internal iliac family, not common iliac which is logically what was catheterized here. In fact all I see documented here is:
36245 for crossover into left common iliac-(could make an argument for 36247 but as documented am not comfortable with higher order cath placement).
75625 for abdominal aortography
75710 left lower extremity angiography

HTH :)