Wiki second opinion visits

tlwhlw

Networker
Best answers
We have a new physician in our group who would like to do second opinion office visits. He would like to offer patients of other physicians in our community 2nd opinions on their health status. I'm not quite sure what to do with this idea??? I reminded him that consultations are no longer paid, by Medicare (which is his target audience) and he said no, this would be offered as a second opinion visit. As I understand it, patients would see him as a one time visit to be evaluated and re-assured that their PCP has diagnosed and is treating them appropriately; advise would be given as to any other treatment that might be appropriate for their health conditions.

Is this anything that can be done? How to code? As New Patient 99201-205? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you!

Most payers will not pay for second opinions unless they are mandated due to the procedure being scheduled or for some other reason, just for a patient to seek out a second opinion is usually a patient responsibility.