Wiki sebaceous cyst i&d vs excision

Best answers
Can anyone help me with this. I want to make sure I am on the right track. I have a provider meeting next week and I seem to be getting mixed directions when it comes to proper coding for a sebaceous cyst incision and drainage vs. excision

if the provider makes an incision ( no excision-no margins) removes the contents and the sac if the sebaceous cyst. . Do I code the I &D 10060, 10061 or do I code the benign excision codes according to size and location of the lesion 11400-11446. There seems to be some confusion on this matter. I have a provider meeting coming up where we will be discussing this and I would like to get to the bottom of this. thank Lyndzee Toone, CPC (family practice)

i&d vs. excision

It seems that your practice is performing 10060/10061 (typically drained and left open to heal). In order to use the 11400 series, the doctor must document the following in the operative report: clear margins and method of closure.

"physician makes a full thickness incision through the dermis with a scalpel, usually in an elliptical shape around and under the lesion. The lesion and a margin of normal tissue are removed. The wound is repaired using a single layer of sutures, chemical or electrocauterization. Complex or layered closure is reported separately"

hope this helps.

sebaceous cyst

Yes, Thank you! Just so I understand, if they are cutting down around the lesion to remove the cyst whole with the documentation and closure you suggested we would then use the excision code series benign lesions.