Wiki SCS with no implants

mhammy67

Best answers
I code for a facility. A pt came in for a reviz/replacement of 2 leads. Surgeon removed the permanent leads he had in, attempted to put two new leads in but was unsucessfull. So the patient left with NO leads but the IPG still in its pocket.

1. Do I code 63650 with a modifier because it was attempted but not completed? What modifier? -74??

2. do I code for removal of leads 63661 because that was the final outcome?

The sales rep still charged us for the equipement ($5K) even thou the patient did not leave with the implants. I dont see how I can bill for a code,63650, when it is a device intensive procedure and the pt did not leave with the device.

PLEASE HELP!:confused:

If you are billing for the facility, you would use 63663-74. The way Medicare prices it as the same price as one unit of 63650. You do not get paid the replacement of the second lead since 63663 code descriptor is in the plural form. 63663 used to be in the same APC as 63661 but after requests made they switched it to the same as 63650 APC.

THANKS. I actually meant the 63663 that is the code I used, not the 63650. appreciate your imput.