Wiki Screening Dx codes

grothrock

Networker
Best answers
I have several providers in our group that insist on adding V76.12(screening mammogram) and V76.51(screening colonoscopy) during the Preventative exam because they are referring the pt out for these services. They state that "Group so and so" does it that way. I have read the ICD-9 book and it states the screening code can be added if the service was performed and that if you add the screening diagnosis then there should be a supporting procedure code to show the service was done yet they do not agree. Am I missing anything?:confused:

I have several providers in our group that insist on adding V76.12(screening mammogram) and V76.51(screening colonoscopy) during the Preventative exam because they are referring the pt out for these services. They state that "Group so and so" does it that way. I have read the ICD-9 book and it states the screening code can be added if the service was performed and that if you add the screening diagnosis then there should be a supporting procedure code to show the service was done yet they do not agree. Am I missing anything?:confused:

You do NOT code for a screening if it is not being PERFORMED by that provider on that DOS. Ask them if they would code diabetes on a patient because they are doing a screening lab work on them for diabetes. Doesn't make too much sense now does it? I would also ask if group so and so does it, then do you mind following behind them and being convicted of fraud just because they do it? I didn't think so to that one either.