Wiki Screening Colonoscopy vs Problem Colonoscopy

puggles

Networker
Best answers
Good Morning!

Our surgeon had a patient who seen him in office for abdominal pain. He wanted to schedule a EGD because of the abd pain and then a screening colonoscopy since the patient had not had one in over 10 years.

Procedures were then performed and the patient was found to have a polpy, which was biopsied, and also internal/exernal hemorroids.

Now, does this change the screening colonoscopy to problem colonoscopy?

I will have to use the cpt 45380 but how to I list the dx's? V76.51, 211.3, 455.0, 455.3 Or 211.3, 455.0, 455.3, 789.00

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

No, if the intent of the colonoscopy was to screen, you don't change that just because there was a finding. Your first scenario is correct.

However this patient presented as symptomatic, screening implies an asymptomatic patient where there is no reason to suspect that there is any underlying condition or presenting symptoms. I am not convinced that this colonoscopy was screening at all with a presenting symptom of abd pain.

However this patient presented as symptomatic, screening implies an asymptomatic patient where there is no reason to suspect that there is any underlying condition or presenting symptoms. I am not convinced that this colonoscopy was screening at all with a presenting symptom of abd pain.

I thought I read that the EGD was done because of the abdominal pain. There was no indication of the abd. pain for the colonoscopy....and I wouldn't assume that they were linked unless the provider indicated so.

I know that is why i struggled a little with the answer, however he ordered the tests at the same time which did make me pause and wonder. I guess it really depends on the exact wording in the record.