Wiki screening colon , Need help!!!!

kerileigh

Networker
Best answers
I work for the physician side and when doing a screening and during the procedure a polyp is found we code out for the polyp and still use the V-code on the claim but not as a pointer to the cpt. How should it be coded on the hospital side.

If your billing Medicare, you code the polyp removal and add modifier PT. -PT mod. Tells Medicare that it was a screenimg turned diagnostic. If other insurance, you still code the polyp removal. From what I understand, if you remove a polyp, It's no longer a screening.

Advance Magazine posted an article regarding this. Search colonoscopies.

If your billing Medicare, you code the polyp removal and add modifier PT. -PT mod. Tells Medicare that it was a screenimg turned diagnostic. If other insurance, you still code the polyp removal. From what I understand, if you remove a polyp, It's no longer a screening.

Advance Magazine posted an article regarding this. Search colonoscopies.

No it is stil screening even if you remove a polyp and the screening V code is still first listed, but as Medicare has the PT modifier, commercial has the 33 modifier to indicate a screening procedure with a diagnostic component.