Wiki Salter Harris I fracture

busybee1625

Best answers
I need help on whether I should charge out this fracture. My supervisor says I have to, but x-rays (3) say no fracture. Here is the timeline and any help will be appreciated.
5-3-15 patient goes to local ER were x-rays were taken and stated no fracture, dislocation or joint space abnormality, soft tissue appear normal. The ER gave patient a splint and sent home.
5-13-15 patient continues to have pain and see primary doctor who ordered x-ray which stated no acute fracture, subluxation or dislocation of the left hand or wrist. If patient has persistent pain consider MRI to evaluate for occult fracture. Primary doctor had patient continue splint and Tylenol 3.
5-19-15 patient comes to our orthopedic practice, doctor does not do an x-ray but documents a Salter Harris I fracture and puts patient in short arm cast.
6-2-15 patient returns and the doctor does an x-ray at our facility, the x-ray states the left wrist were negative for acute process fracture, dislocation.
I do not want to charge for fracture when the x-rays are negative. I feel there should be proof of fracture in case of an audit.
Help!!!

What does your doctor's note state and how old is your patient? A Salter Harris 1 fracture is a fracture through the growth plate and many times does not show up on x-ray. Treatment is cast immobilization. You may want to ask your doctor to explain this to you, let him know you're interested in learning so that you can become a better coder. I've found that when I approach the doctors I've worked for as trying to learn from them they're more than happy to answer my questions.