Wiki RX Management vs. OTC - Ibuprophen

Stefanie

Networker
Best answers
Doctor writes a prescription for Ibuprophen 800mg, which is one pill that has to have a prescription to fill, BUT one can also get OTC Motrin, Advil etc, and take 4 200mg as easily, what is the opinion on using the docs prescription as RX Management in the Table of Risk?

Thanks for your input.

Doctor writes a prescription for Ibuprophen 800mg, which is one pill that has to have a prescription to fill, BUT one can also get OTC Motrin, Advil etc, and take 4 200mg as easily, what is the opinion on using the docs prescription as RX Management in the Table of Risk?

Thanks for your input.

I would think that he wrote a prescription for 800mg of Ibuprophen, which equals Rx management in the table of risk, period.

Agree - there must be a reason why the physician felt that an 800 mg dose should be taken instead of multiple smaller doses. I too would use Rx management here.

The caution here that I see when reviewing is that just because a prescription/script is written it would NOT mean Rx management. Especially now when one has to be written for OTC meds to be used in a flex spending plan, it has to be known if the medication is truly a Rx one or one that can be obtained for that dosage/strengthy OTC. This example is perfect - the 800 mg is Rx, but 200 or 400 would be OTC drugs, whether or not a script was written.