Wiki RVU's-Help Needed

mamador2

Best answers
This is going to be a little embarrassing to admit, but I've been a coder for 18 months and I have no idea what Relative Value Units are or how to calculate them, and I've never been very skilled at math other than at a basic add, subtract, multiply, divide level (I know, I know, and I call myself a biller...). Help?

I'm wanting to do the CFPC course but one of the requirements is an understanding of RVU's, I don't want this to hinder my growth in this field...so any information, tips, breakdowns, or references to good sites or reading material would be greatly appreciated, thanks much :)

This is going to be a little embarrassing to admit, but I've been a coder for 18 months and I have no idea what Relative Value Units are or how to calculate them, and I've never been very skilled at math other than at a basic add, subtract, multiply, divide level (I know, I know, and I call myself a biller...). Help?

I'm wanting to do the CFPC course but one of the requirements is an understanding of RVU's, I don't want this to hinder my growth in this field...so any information, tips, breakdowns, or references to good sites or reading material would be greatly appreciated, thanks much :)

In a nutshell, RVU's are a point value assigned to each CPT code by Medicare. The more intense/time consuming the service, the higher the RVU. The values are broken down by actual physician service, malpractice, facility allowance to cover overhead, etc. I'm including a link to the Medicare site that has the spreadsheets, instructions, etc.

Medicare, and many other payers, use RVU's to calculate reimbursement. There are other factors, such as POS and geographical location, that are taken into consideration too.

https://www.cms.gov/medicare/medica...ysicianfeesched/pfs-relative-value-files.html

HTH some!! :D