Wiki Routine foot care

Best answers
Hello,
I am a new biller/coder and am working at a podiatry office. The question is they are having a hard time getting paid for routine foot care if they don't put a pain diagnosis along with the other dx codes. Also, if the doctor is spending a lot of time counseling for i.e gout diet..is it beneficial to use different code for visit?? Thanks in advance!! :)

Stephanie CPC-A

Is problem with any one insurance carrier?

How often is patient being seen? (Once every 8 weeks?)?

Your last question about visit code, changing, are you asking to change visit code or diagnosis code or adding another visit code with modifier?

If you give me details I will help. Good luck.

I just started so not sure about the 8 weeks I will ask her. The Dr is complaining about spending extra 30-40 min counseling about gout diet during a ov. Does this constitute a code that would pay more, or a added code or modifier?? Thanks for responding!!

I code for a podiatrist here in Arizona and you need to make sure you follow your LCD's with Medicare. That is a really good starting point with any insurance carriers. Routine Foot Care has many guidelines to follow and they have to have a systemic condition in order for routine foot care to be covered and also make sure you know your Class A, B and C findings. With the doctor stating they are spending extra time with the patient, that has to be documented in the record in order for it to coded. Prolonged services of less than 30 minutes total duration on a given date is not separately reported. Look at CPT codes-99354-99355.