Wiki rookie question

Best answers
I was told that one could become certified in specialties. Does this mean you would test in these specialties alone? example, certified in coding behavior health, or labs or cardio, musculoskeletal, you get my drift. Can coding certification be obtained in single areas one by one? I really hope this is not a silly question, and thank you all for your kindness in helping me to understand this. T

This is a great question for a rookie to ask. Pursuing a specialty certification is a huge reward to not only yourself, but to your employer. You are much more valuable and marketable. I personally, have 3 from the AAPC and 2 from other organizations and it has served me so well I have doubled my income in less than 3 years. It signifies that you have the skill and interest and focus in achieving a higher level of expertise.

If you go to the Certification tab on your AAPC tab, it lists all of the specialty certifications you can potential achieve. Beyond specialties similar to what a physician would be for example musculoskeletal=Orthopedics (COSC) and Cardiology (CIRCC is one) there are payer and hospital and billing specialty certifications.

Just go for it, you won't regret it. The doors that open for you with a specialty cert is amazing.

I was told that one could become certified in specialties. Does this mean you would test in these specialties alone? example, certified in coding behavior health, or labs or cardio, musculoskeletal, you get my drift. Can coding certification be obtained in single areas one by one? I really hope this is not a silly question, and thank you all for your kindness in helping me to understand this. T

AAPC offers specialty certifications in just about every discipline you can think of. You do not need to hold a core credential (CPC, CPC-H, CPC-P) before being allowed to sit for one of these tests.

Check out the list of certifications available. I would warn you though that these are difficult tests and not for someone with a limited knowledge of a specialty.

AAPC recommends at least 3 years of coding a particular specialty before attempting one of these certifications but that is not a definitive rule, just a guideline.

I took my CANPC without any experience in the specialty and passed (only just) first time.

What specialty are you interested in?

When it comes to coding you will find there are no stupid questions in this field. :)

If I am understanding your question then no, there is not a certification for labs, etc. If you look on the aapc website you have GI, Thorac, Interventional Rad/Cardio certifications.... as an example there are more!

As for other organizations I do not know exactly what they have to offer. I know AHIMA does not have what you are looking for.

Hope this helps!

Kim

Hi thanks so much for responding. An answer to your question, I don't have a particular specialty of interest yet , let me put it this way. Instead of taking the cpt coding test as a whole, taking it in sections. Does that make sensed? Thank you all. T

Hi thanks so much for responding. An answer to your question, I don't have a particular specialty of interest yet , let me put it this way. Instead of taking the cpt coding test as a whole, taking it in sections. Does that make sensed? Thank you all. T

Unfortunately, no you cannot take the CPC exam in its parts. It is designed and created as a single test and has to be taken in it's entirety in the 5+ hour exam sitting. If you are stronger in one particular area though and have some solid experience maybe training, it might be of benefit to look at taking a specialty certification exam. While the AAPC does recommend experience before taking them, it is not impossible to pass them with just utilizing AAPC resources available like the study guide and other excellent education materials.

Per the AAPC Specialty Certification Requirements:
While there is no requirement, we strongly recommend that the candidate has at least two years of experience in the specialty. Please be aware that these are difficult, high-level examinations not meant for individuals with little, limited or no coding experience.

Last edited: