Wiki Robotic assistance Coding

pwilson

New
Best answers
It was recently mentioned by a coder within my system that coding ethics required an additional code for Robotic Assisted Procedures. In this case an unlisted code is being attached. I was under the impression that only the base code for the procedure was required. Does anyone have any information on this?

Not sure what you mean by "coding ethics" requires an additional code for robotic assisted procedures. There is a HCPCS code, S2900 to indicate robotic assistance. I will note that none of my payor contracts allow additional payment for this. It is used for tracking purposes only. The use of S2900 may vary from employer to employer.
Robotic assisted procedures are typically laparoscopic, with the daVinci simply being a tool used to accomplish the laparoscopic procedure. Which are then coded as laparoscopic. I use unlisted only when there is no laparoscopic code to describe the procedure being performed. Using the daVinci does not add expense for the surgeon, and the laparoscopic procedure is already valued accordingly for skill and time.
Coding laparoscopic PLUS unlisted would be incorrect. Coding laparoscopic PLUS S2900 is permitted per coding guidelines, but will likely not change your reimbursement.
If you have a specific type of surgery with codes as an example, that could be helpful.