Wiki Right, Left, Unspecified

bbooks

Best answers
Sort of a rant, but sincerely curious - does anyone know why in ICD-10 the numbers used for right, left, and unspecified are not consistent throughout the code book?

The number 1 is mostly the right side and the number 2 is mostly the left side. The unspecified is different but then it really does not matter because you will not be using it. When there is more than one choice in a category like dominance then it usually has the patter of right then left then right then left again.. Such as right side dominate is 1 left side dominate is 2 then right side non dominate is 3 and left side dominate is 4. Is not 100% but it is consistent enough to be cool!

When coding skin lesions, it varies.

For example:

C44- Other and unspecified malignant neoplasm of skin,
1 = unspec, 2 = right, 9 = left

D22- Melanocytic nevi
0 = unspec, 1 = right, 2 = left

I code pathology, and a lot of derm cases, so it's just odd (and frustrating) that the numbers for laterality wouldn't be consistent.

Also, I cannot say I would never use an unspecified location code, because, although rare, sometimes we are not given that information. Thus the need to still have unspecified codes. ;)

Yes I know.. It is consistent until it isn't. I think someone came to work on a Moday after a hard weekend and just was not not paying attention!