Wiki Revision left knee help?? please

Best answers
On 08/08/11 patient had revision on left knee; patient got infection and on 08/22/11 dr. had to do irrigation and debridement of left knee w/polyethylene exchange; The arthrotomy was reopened and the polyethylene was removed and an excisional debridement of synovium, then the polyethylene was replaced with a new one. What code would I use? Would I use the revision code again, 27486? Thanks!

On 08/08/11 patient had revision on left knee; patient got infection and on 08/22/11 dr. had to do irrigation and debridement of left knee w/polyethylene exchange; The arthrotomy was reopened and the polyethylene was removed and an excisional debridement of synovium, then the polyethylene was replaced with a new one. What code would I use? Would I use the revision code again, 27486? Thanks!

They usually point you towards adding a 52 modifier on 27486...but if you can show that extra work was involved (aka Difficulty) then you can drop the 52 mod. I usually let the doc decide unless I see additional work...most of my docs go w/o 52 mod..