Wiki return to surgery for infection

szrogers

Contributor
Best answers
The doctor has done surgery on a patient, they have been discharged, but now they have an infected wound for which he is admitting the patient and going to do an I & D.

The question is, does the hospital admit for this second admission still fall under the global from the original surgery? This is actually the second time this has happened and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Thanks!!!!!

Post Op Global

If he takes the patient to the OR for an I&D that procedure can be coded (don't forget your modifier).

NO E/M services related to the surgery can be billed to Medicare in the post-op global period. Many commercial carriers are starting to follow CMS lead on this. But per CPT infection is NOT routine post-op care, so some commercial carriers are still paying with the -24 modifier.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Last edited:
Tessa,
What do you mean "NO E/M services can be billed to Medicare in the post-op global period". If a patient is seen for an unrelated problem, you bill and E&M code with a 24 mod. That is the specific description for 24. I'm confused why you would make this statement.