Wiki RETURN TO OR - REMOVAL OF BREAST CLIPS

Best answers
Hi! Patient was seen for a partial mastectomy. MD placed 6 clips at the end of the procedure. Patient was taken to recovery.

While dictating the procedure, MD realized that in standard fashion, they placed the metallic clips to mark the surgical cavity for radiation and imaging follow up. However, the patient has a metal allergy. After discussion, the patient was taken back to the OR for retrieval. This consisted of reopening the breast incision, retrieval and closure.

Thoughts on how to code the clip removal?

I'm not sure I consider this billable if it was known ahead of time about the metal allergy. I consider it an error by the surgeon that needed to be corrected. I'm curious to see what others have to say ;)

I'm not sure I consider this billable if it was known ahead of time about the metal allergy. I consider it an error by the surgeon that needed to be corrected. I'm curious to see what others have to say ;)
I totally see that angle as well. I'm coding/billing for the facility. OR had to be reopened as well as all new supplies. Just throwing that out there for any following responses.