Wiki Retrograde Pyelography

Best answers
Hello,
I was looking for some guidance regarding cpt code 74420- Urography, retrograde, with or without KUB. I have a provider i am auditing and they performed 52005-Cystourethroscopy, with ureteral catheterization, with or without irrigation, instillation, or ureteropyelography, exclusive of radiologic service and also provided interpretation and billed 74420-26 x 2 units. I have researched this and have not found much regarding the units. The MUE for this code is 2. Interpretation supports it was performed bilaterally , however the bilateral indicator for 74420 is "0". My question is since the code has an allowable MUE of 2 is it appropriate to bill the interpretation as 74420-26 x 2units when performed bilaterally? I have looked and looked and have been unsuccessful finding anything on this code relating to the allowable MUE.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

You would not append any bilateral modifiers or bill for 2 units. According to the Medicare fee schedule, 74420 has a zero bilateral indicator. This means that bilateral surgery rules do not apply. You would only bill 74420-26 if your provider provided interpretation.

that’s what I thought but it has an allowed MUE of 2. I forgot this point but it was billed in ASC SETTING and was performed bilaterally. I did more research and due to it being bilateral inductor 0-150% fee would not be applicable. But to report bilateral procedures in the ASC for Medicare you would put 2 units in. Had the MUE been 1 I would say would only be 1 unit. Regardless it won’t change the payment because of the bilateral indicator so it would be ok to place 2 units to accurately reflect the services provided (since it has an MUE of 2) is the conclusion I came up with.

Thank you for responding and if you totally disagree please feel free to respond.