Wiki retake test

SettaMarC

Best answers
I failed my CPC exam on the first try (61%) on 12/28/19. I want to do the retake ASAP, but not sure if I will need to purchase 2020 books. Will the retake test be for 2019 or 2020?

It will be in the current calendar year. I know it is frustrating. Don't give up, I encourage you to get 2020 CPT. For ICD 10 questions you can still use icd10 2019 book if you are allowed to take the updated print out codes for 2020. Good luck!

You may take an errata, but I do not believe you may take a print out of new codes. Call AAPC or you proctor and make sure.

These are the resources allowed into the CPC exam per AAPC: 1. CPT® (AMA Professional edition ONLY). No other publisher is allowed. 2. Your choice of ICD-10-CM. Also approved: The printed ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines. Highlighting, underlining and brief notations needed for day- to-day coding is permitted on the printed side of the page. Long passages of information are not permitted on the blank pages of the print out. 3. Your choice of HCPCS Level II

When I took the test, the proctor stated that those using last years books could miss up 10% of the questions simply due to code changes. This would vary based on how many codes changed. I would definitely buy or borrow the current year CPT, and ICD-10, but the HCPCS does not change that much.

The test is based on calendar year code set. You can use prior years books but know that you are at disadvantage and there are code and guidelines updates every year.
I think AHIMA updates their test later in the year but AAPC is more current.

I took the test on 12/28 got a 67... but I am pretty sure that the 2019 books are good through April 2020

AAPC updates their test every January to reflect changes made to all three books. They advise you use the books for year you are taking the exam. For anyone who cannot afford the new books, see if you can borrow someone's current books just for the day for the exam. Maybe someone in your local chapter?

"What year’s books should I use?

Since the code sets for each coding book are updated every year, it’s essential for coders to have the current year’s books/manuals to ensure accurate performance. Reporting wrong codes can lead to denied claim submissions and substantial penalization. It’s clearly very important to get an education on the annual code set updates and to obtain new code books every year.

All AAPC exams are based on the current calendar year’s code sets, so we strongly suggest you use the current year’s books. The previous calendar year’s books may be used on an exam, but you would be at obvious disadvantage doing so. The upcoming year’s books are not allowed for exam use. The exams are updated every January for the new code sets. Examinees using their second attempt in the next calendar year will not be permitted to take the previous year's exam.

Note: Please make sure you are now using ICD-10 CM or ICD-10 PCS when needed."