Wiki Responsibilities of the billing company versus the office

CatchTheWind

Best answers
If you have worked with or for a billing company, can you please advise who should be responsible for the following tasks - the office or the billing company?

1. Researching and correcting patient's insurance when claims are denied due to wrong insurance or incorrect policy number.
2. Finding and fixing patient addresses when statements are returned due to data entry mistakes or unforwardable mail.

Thank you!

Normally these types of issues are addressed in the outline of the contract. However, it would be a joint process in most cases.

• If the billing company is able to confirm the information (ie: from the insurance card, calling the insurance company, calling the patient, etc) normally it would be expected that they would take reasonable steps to resolve these issues internally.

• As the physician office I would want this information fed back to me so that we could update our records as well as provide training to our staff as appropriate.

• If the billing company was not able to locate the correct information after reasonable attempts then yes, ultimately this would be returned to physician office for additional query.

This is just my personal opinion as a provider. To the specific questions you asked above, I would say that it is the provider's office that is responsible for obtaining the correct insurance information and patient demographic information since the office has face to face contact with the patient.

If the provider's office can't obtain the correct information you referred to, how can the billing company to its job properly? I'm reminded of something I've heard when referring to computers: "Garbage in. Garbage out."

Tom Cheezum, O.D., CPC, COPC

As a biller and small business owner, the contract is the document that outlines responsibilities. Though, the short answer is that billers depend on providers and/or their office staff to provide correct information regarding patient demographics and insurance coverage.

The longer answer:
Does the office staff verify a patient's benefits, or is that something the billing company is contracted to do? If the office staff verifies benefits, then, naturally, they would be the ones who would notice an error with the insurance and would then be responsible for getting the correct information to the biller. If the billing company is verifying benefits, then they would notice an error because, without the correct information, the patient could not be found via a portal, or by the insurance company's customer service rep. When this happens to me, I inform the provider/staff and request that they obtain the correct info from the patient and then forward it to me, so the benefits can be verified. If no one is checking benefits, this should be remedied immediately.

In general, the provider's office is responsible for sending the billing company the correct demographic information. Since billers usually do not have direct contact with patients, office staff is best poised to obtain and update this information, and notify the biller of any changes. The billing company would be responsible for updating its own records to reflect accurate and current information. Is the billing company logging into the provider's software to submit claims? (I do not recommend this at all, because it is a recipe for disaster.) In this case, it should be outlined who is responsible for updating or correcting patient demographics and insurance info in the system.

Ultimately, though, good communication is key for a smooth billing process -- regardless of whether the billing is done in-house or by a third-party.

Hope this helps!

ditch the billing co

I took over billing for my office that was being done by a billing co.
It was a mess The over 90 ar was almost 15%
Withing 90 days I had it under 3%
You are jsut a # to them. You have 3...4...5.. ppl in your account doing all different tasks. Not one person is invested in the well being of the office.
Not to mention its way more expensive.
Ditch the billing company.