Wiki Residents Assisting during Surgery

Diana2032

Networker
Best answers
Good afternoon everyone,

We have a new orthopedic surgeon who often uses residents to assist during surgeries which is fine because the services are being rendered at a teaching hospital however, should the resident physician also be submitting a claim with modifier GC (Service has been performed in part by a resident under the direction of a teaching physician)? For instance, my provider did an ACL repair yesterday and a resident assisted, would I be submitting the resident's claim as follows: 29888-GC? Please advise, I'm so confused. I always thought that teaching hospitals already get reimbursed for involving residents in the care of the patients therefore we wouldn't be billing for cases where residents assisted during surgery.

I honestly never dealt with something like this, usually my doctors use a PA's and put in the op note that 'no qualified resident was available therefore a PA was necessary" and I bill the services for the PA with modifers AS and 82.

Any input will be appreciated.

Residents in Surgery

The resident does not submit a charge, only the attending. You would append the GC modifier to your provider's charges to let the carrier know a resident was involved.