Wiki Required length of time of Infusion for CPT 37211, 37212

Chlrtrep

Best answers
I am looking for information regarding the length of time of infusion required to correctly code for Thrombolytic Infusion therapy. CPT codes 37211 or 37212

In this scenario a physician performed and Lower extremity angiogram the physician was unsure if he should intervene or consult for surgical revascularization. The surgeon was notified in the mean time the physician started tPA infusion (37211). the surgeon called back and after a discussion the physician decided that they would send the patient to surgery. tPA infusion was stopped. Patient was then taken to surgery. approx. tPA infusion time was 15-20 minutes physician dictation has not posted to verify length of time.

My questions is does anyone have any reference to the length of time required to code CPT Code 37211 or 37212. I have not seen any specific time requirement for these codes. In the majority of our cases infusion is for several hours to overnight. this was a rare instance with the infusion time was short.

Any recommendation or reference of specific length of time would be appreciated.

I did not seen any information posted on the WPS (our local MAC) website reference time either.

Charles

Never mind........

I contacted or Local MAC and they do not have an LCD for these codes. They stated they di not required a specific length of time as long as the procedure meets medical necessity.