Wiki Reprogramming cardiac devices

jazzyblues2005

Networker
Best answers
Hi,

We recently had a Boston Sci rep in the office and she told our providers that they can bill a programming code (93279-93284) at every visit for testing the device. I have only been billing these codes when changes are made and the adjustments are documented in the report.

Is anyone doing this differently? I found some documentation in Medicare's LCD for ICDs, but not sure if it will be enough to support my view.

Any help/links/opinions are appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi,

We recently had a Boston Sci rep in the office and she told our providers that they can bill a programming code (93279-93284) at every visit for testing the device. I have only been billing these codes when changes are made and the adjustments are documented in the report.

Is anyone doing this differently? I found some documentation in Medicare's LCD for ICDs, but not sure if it will be enough to support my view.

Any help/links/opinions are appreciated.
Thanks!

If the provider performs iterative adjustments in person then yes they can bill for a programming device check. There does not need to be final changes made in order to bill for the programming device check codes. Many time will make iterative adjustments but make no changes. This can be found in your 2015 CPT code book on page 581 under Programming device evaluations (in person): "The final program parameters may or may not change after evaluation."

f the provider performs iterative adjustments in person then yes they can bill for a programming device check. There does not need to be final changes made in order to bill for the programming device check codes. Many time will make iterative adjustments but make no changes. This can be found in your 2015 CPT code book on page 581 under Programming device evaluations (in person): "The final program parameters may or may not change after evaluation."

Misty Sebert CPC, CCC, CCVTC
www.linkedin.com/in/mistysebertcardiologycoder