Wiki reporting aaaaall the codes?

Best answers
Hey everyone,

A few doctors I code for will select about 14 ICD-10 codes. They will only treat 1-2 of these and mention these in the H&P and assessment. Is there a need to report the rest of the diagnoses that are not treated?

Hey everyone,

A few doctors I code for will select about 14 ICD-10 codes. They will only treat 1-2 of these and mention these in the H&P and assessment. Is there a need to report the rest of the diagnoses that are not treated?
ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting state "Code all documented conditions that coexist at the time of the encounter/visit and that require or affect patient care, treatment or management". The key words are: "require or affect patient care, treatment or management". Documentation must support the codes assigned, and conditions which no longer exist cannot be coded. Hope this helps.

Hey everyone,

This is something our doctors do as well. I've seen them choose over 12 diagnoses and I am always the one to get rid of the overwhelming majority of them on the claims as most of them are just symptoms of the causal diagnosis(es).