Wiki Replacement of -59 with new "X" modifiers

lcaskew1

Networker
Best answers
Which of the new X modifiers that are replacing modifier 59 would apply to a doctor doing a heart catheterization and stent placement. We used to code the stent with the location modifier followed by the cath code with modifier -26-59.

I attended a Medtronic Cardiovascular reimbursement seminar in Dec. and their coder suggested using " XU ". She did say that there is no specfic description to define the use in this situation, but suggested it was the best option. She reminded us the -59 is still accepted for the time being and we might have to wait to see which new modifier would fit this specific situation. Not sure is that helps just thought I would pass that info along.

charles

Thanks, Charles. That's what I thought. None of the new X codes really applies in this situation. Good to know we can still use -59 for now.

What about when 2 major coronary arteries are stented?

2 major coronary arteries are stented after a diagnostic heart cath.

92928-RC
92928-LM-59
93459-26-XU (pt has grafts)
Would you replace the 59 with XS or XU
It is the same organ but a seperate structure of the organ . . or is the structure defined as the whole organ. Am I over thinking this?

2 major coronary arteries are stented after a diagnostic heart cath.

92928-RC
92928-LM-59
93459-26-XU (pt has grafts)
Would you replace the 59 with XS or XU
It is the same organ but a seperate structure of the organ . . or is the structure defined as the whole organ. Am I over thinking this?

Personally when I have cases when more than one artery is stented I DON'T use the -59 modifier and don't have any issues. The vessel modifier should be enough to tell them why the code is being billed again.

Jessica CPC, CCC

Do you know which modifier would apply if one doctor did the Cath and a different doctor in the same practice did the Stent? I'm torn between the XP and the XU. Not sure which one to use. Any suggestions?

Colonoscopy and the use of the X modifier

Could anyone help me understand what X modifier I would use when billing a colonoscopy where several biopsies were retrieved by different procedures: ex: 45385, 45380-59, these are all done in the colon at different sites. thanks for any guidance.:)