Wiki Removal spinal cord stimulator

AWHITACRE

Networker
Best answers
Surgeon removed generator and all leads during post operative period. He inserted 2 new leads and a new generator. Can i bill 63685 & 63688 together since it was not the same generator? If so what modifier if any?

Surgeon removed generator and all leads during post operative period. He inserted 2 new leads and a new generator. Can i bill 63685 & 63688 together since it was not the same generator? If so what modifier if any?

CPT instructs you not to report 63685 and 63688 for the same pulse generator/receiver-I assume this was for the same level as before?

63685 looks ok but you would need to report 63663 or 63664 depending if this was replaced percutaneously or via lamino/laminec.

I see that you are not to report 63685 and 63688 for the same pulse generator, however this is a completely new and different generator. Just want to make sure we are reimbursed for everything. Thanks

My thought is, if it's the same level, you're not going to report the removal and the replacement; which 63688 (removal) and 63685 (replacement) will be doing.