Wiki Remote Coding Questions

ataylor77

Contributor
Best answers
I have never had a remote coding job, but I am starting to apply for a full time permanent position. I have some questions for those that are experienced remote coders. When they say full time contract that means it is full time until the contract is gone, right? Also, what are the signs to watch out for a bad company? Thanks!

Yes, I believe that FT contract means what you state... you definitely have to do your research as far as reputable remote companies. I prefer to only work remote locally, as national remote companies tend to be a mixed bag based on what I've seen from experiences from other people.

Several questions come to mind when it comes to remote coding, and I have listed a few below. I have coded remotely for 5 years.

1. Who provides the equipment? Some employers furnish a laptop, coding books, etc., others require that you have your own.

2. Are you an employee (W2) or independent contractor (1099)? If you are an independent contractor, you are responsible for paying your own taxes. Plan accordingly when doing your finances.

3. Does the employer require you to have separate insurance coverage? Most companies that employ independent contractors will require you to have some sort of liability coverage. I have an umbrella policy thru my homeowners' insurance which was acceptable to my employer.

4. Are you required to work a set schedule each day, or are you free to set your own hours?

Good luck!

Patricia Murrin, CPC, RCC