Wiki Rasping of the Meniscus

Best answers
Lately I have been getting more and more rasping of the meniscus that my dr's are performing. I cannot code for a meniscectomy or a chondroplasty for this. I am not going to use the unlisted as of now, so I usually will not code this and just code the primary procedure. Dr. will perform rasping to promote healing in the meniscus. The desired result from a meniscal trephination is to create a small blood clot at that area which will ultimately lead to scar tissue and healing of the small meniscus tear. I would like to see what some of you are doing about this.
Thank you,
Pamela

You said that you code the primary procedure and not the rasping. That says that the surgeon is performing rasping in the same compartment as another procedure, correct?

The dr. is in the same knee but the rasping if of the lateral meniscus and performing a meniscectomy on the medial meniscus. So I code the 29881 for the medial meniscectomy only. I am starting to get more rasping lately of the opposite meniscus though. Now if it was a seperate knee, for example. Right knee lateral meniscectomy 29881-RT. Then the dr. also performed rasping on the Left Knee on the medial meniscus, I am not sure if I should even code this. There is still no code for rasping. I am not a big fan of unlisted codes. Try to use those as a last resort.