Wiki Radiology

LYNNEHEEKE

Best answers
Does anyone have any information regarding having an order for a diagnostic mammogram and the radiologist changes to a screening. We have information on change screening to diagnostic but find nothing on diagnostic to screening.
Thank you

Only the referring physician is allowed to change the order, not the radiologist. If it was ordered as a diagnostic, it has to be done as a diagnostic. If a screening is ordered and performed and he feels that more views are necessary, the radiologist may then perform a diagnostic exam but he cannot change the original order by the referring physician.

Screening Mammogram w CAD

If the physician writes the order as "Screening Mammography", can the Radiologist conduct the screening and use the CAD? Or does the physician have to state in writing "Screening Mammography CAD?"

Thank you for your reply. Our manager would like to know if you have documentation on this so he can take this to our doctors. "only refering doctor can change an order, not the radiologist"

Thank you

I will see if I can find the reference for you. My question also is why would the doctor change the exam from diagnostic to screening? I previously worked for a huge diagnostic imaging company and the doctors there would change the dx exams to screenings for breast ca patients if they felt that the patient had been cancer free long enough. I was told by my superiors however that this decision was up to the referring physician and the patient, not the radiologist. I have also seen radiologists go the other way and decided that once a patient has breast ca, they have it forever and will change screening exams to diagnostic exams. Did your doctor consult the referring physician before changing the exam? This also apparently varies state to state, some states require a dr's order for screening mammos, some do not. So many differences for such a simple procedure. I will look for that reference and post it for you.

We do agree with you that only the ordering doctor can change the order. If you have documentation that would be helpful so we can show the docs.
thank you again:)

Sorry!! Have been very busy but will look for the reference at home. I know that I have it somewhere but soccer for my daughter has dominated most of my evenings. Will post ASAP!

Also go look at AB-01-144. It is a Medicare transmittal specific to the ordering of diagnostic and screening tests. Just put the AB-01-144 into your search bar and it will come up in the results.