Wiki Radiology Patient education

brandy6320

Best answers
I know the answer to this but I want to cover all answer before I return to my Dr.

I just was handed billing for an out patient free stand radiology clinic (Pet, MRI, and Xray) While training I was told that patient get education on what they will have done and that I am to bill out a 99205 for a new patient to the center and a 99215 to a patient who has already got a scan done at the office before. (I guess they are making these patient watch the same video twice). Is there any documentation or web site that can direct me in to were this is proper billing. Again like I said I don't think that we should ever bill those codes for patient education. These patient only see a radiology tech and never see a DR.

E/M for Counseling

Brandy:

You need to check the guidelines for your state on who is considered to be an "other qualified health care professional". I don't believe that radiology techs fall into that category. A physician, PA or an NP would need to be present during the counseling session.

Also, since an E/M service is not being provided, the amount of time of the patient education session must be documented in order to code correctly. A 99205 requires 60 minutes of counseling; a 99215 requires 45 minutes.

Per CMS Guidelines - "professional services are those face-to-face services rendered by physicians and other qualified health care professionals who may report evaluation and management services reported by a specific CPT code(s)"

For additional information, you can check the CMS.gov website.

Hope this helps!