Wiki radiology guidelines in regards to exposure

cpl7912

New
Best answers
hello! Does anyone know if there are guidelines for radiologists as far as the maximum amount of radiology exposure daily they are allowed? Any help or guidance would be welcomed! Thanks so much!

hello! Does anyone know if there are guidelines for radiologists as far as the maximum amount of radiology exposure daily they are allowed? Any help or guidance would be welcomed! Thanks so much!

I'm sure there have been scientific studies published that could give you information about what are safe radiation exposure levels for radiologists, but in all my years of healthcare, I have never come across any radiology providers or technicians who actually measure or monitor the amount that they are exposed to. Radiologists follow recommended precautions to protect themselves from the radiation and as far as I know, as long as they follow the protocols, the levels of exposure should be within safe limits. (I'd mention that radiation for cancer treatment, on the other hand, is a little different though, and those levels are carefully monitored with sensor devices.) However, I'm a coder and not an expert on this things - this would be a question better directed to a clinician or researcher in the field and I wouldn't recommend relying on information from the coding forum as a good source of information on this topic. You might take a look on the web sites of some of the professional associations of radiologists or radiology technicians (e.g. www.acr.org or www.asrt.org) and see if they have anything on this.

Last edited:
I would think a medical director, or even lead technician, would have this information. When I worked in the cardiac stress lab, everyone in the room during the nuclear stress test had badges to measure their radiation exposure. The nuclear techs performing the injection also wore rings that measured exposure. I'm pretty sure I saw x-ray techs and cath lab techs wearing the same badges, but its been a few years since I've worked in the hospital. I also recall the department having to keep the exposure records for a certain number of years and even once a nuclear tech being pulled from injecting because that quarters exposure levels were too high. Our lead nuclear tech handled a lot of that. I'm not sure what this has to do with coding, but I definitely recall this being a regulated process.