Wiki Radiology Coding/Degenerative

Best answers
New to Radiology Coding need help understanding "Degenerative Changes" . How do you index this diagnosis. Also, I was told if it don't states Degenerative Disease don't code. Narrowing on the bone is another confusion. Please email me ejf_3@yahoo.com or response Thanks

Depending on what the report/signs and symptoms say you could use the below that I cut and pasted from wikipedia.

Osteoarthritis (OA) also known as degenerative arthritis or degenerative joint disease or osteoarthrosis, is a group of mechanical abnormalities involving degradation of joints,[1] including articular cartilage and subchondral bone. Symptoms may include joint pain, tenderness, stiffness, locking, and sometimes an effusion. A variety of causes?hereditary, developmental, metabolic, and mechanical deficits?may initiate processes leading to loss of cartilage. When bone surfaces become less well protected by cartilage, bone may be exposed and damaged. As a result of decreased movement secondary to pain, regional muscles may atrophy, and ligaments may become more lax