Wiki Radiofrequency ablation - I am new to Podiatry coding

EllieAnn

Networker
Best answers
I am new to Podiatry coding. When a Radiofrequency is done on 16 lesions, does this mean we bill 64640 16 times???

Another question, what is the documentation needed to support an RF Ablation? The Op report I have may suggest 28008 and NOT 64640 anyway:

The patient was then brought into the operating room and was placed on the operating room table in the supine position. A pneumatic ankle tourniquet was then placed around the patient's left ankle. Following IV sedation, local anesthesia was obtained around the surgical site using a 1:1 mixture of 1% lidocaine plain and 0.5% Marcaine plain. The foot was then scrubbed, prepped, and draped in the usual aseptic manner. An Esmarch bandage was then used to exsanguinate the patient's left foot and then the pneumatic ankle tourniquet was inflated to 250 mmHg.

"Attention was then directed to the plantar aspect of the left heel where the skin in the area of maximum tenderness had been marked before the patient was brought in to the OR. The points on the skin were then penetrated with a 0.062-inch K-wire to allow insertion of the microdebrider probe. The probe was then inserted perpendicular to the plantar fascia until the fascia provided resistance. The coblation activation paddle was then pressed allowing the probe to penetrate 3 mm into the fascia and caused the micro-debridement. The length of the micro-debridement was preset to 0.5 seconds. The perforations were alternated at 3 mm and 6 mm depth.

The same exact procedure was then performed to the rest of the points on the grid on the heel for a total of 16 lesions on the plantar fascia. The position of the probe was confirmed each time using fluoroscopy. A saline drop was used throughout the procedure. The area was then irrigated, cleansed, and a sterile compressive dressing consisting of 4 x 4's and Kling was applied. The patient tolerated the procedure and anesthesia well. She was then transferred to the recovery room with vital signs stable and vascular status intact to all toes of the left foot."

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Ellie