Wiki Quick response to E&M coding

jbrightw

Networker
Best answers
Hi all,

Can you give a quick answer to the following question without any reference; just to refresh the thought process...

Which MDM (Medical decision making) is required to code 99203 (Office visit, New ptient) ?

1. Straight Forward 2. Low complexity 3. Moderate complexity 4. High

Your participation is appreciated.

Jesus Brightwin

This makes sense.. I have started this thread just to remind that Low complexity MDM is enough for 99203, because some coders are still thinking of Moderate complexity for 99203.

Thanks
Jesus Brightwin

However the visit level for new patient depends on all 3 key components to be met or exceeded so if the history is focused then it does not matter if the MDM is moderate or low, the level is a 99201.

jbrightw,

Good for you, I admire your incentive to educate the masses. Too often answers are given in these forums without checking our sources whether it is CPT, ICD-9, HCPCS books or guidelines. While we all have our "interpretation" of information, we all should be able back it up and provide correct answers.

We are mentoring many out there without support and our answers to the forums should be correct based on fact, not just our interpretation of the information. We all can make errors, we are human, I see a lot of miss-information out there and I spend a lot of time educating both coders and providers on "coding legends."

This is just my opinion, but a great example of how easy it is to miss-inform someone.

LC is the correct answer, I was thinking 99204. I apologize for any confusion, I thought I sent a correction yesterday after my initial response.

Thanks to everyone that supplied the correct answer.

Thanks all and I appreciate all who participated and seen this thread. Exactly, there can be some human errors, but I just want all coders to refer CPT, ICD and HCPCS when you face a new scenario, even you know the guidelines; just confirm it, because this is an example that our assumption may be different from the guidelines, some times.

Not one, but lots of coders have the same confusion between 99203 (Need Low complexity MDM) and 99283 (need Moderate complexity MDM). Your reference is appreciated.

Thanks
Jesus Brightwin